Following a recall by Aurora Products, Inc., Giant Food, LLC announced it removed from sale select Aurora and Giant brand walnut and trail mix blend products due to potential Salmonella contamination.
The following products are included in this recall:
- Giant Walnuts, 6.5 oz., UPC 8826713594, with best if used by dates of 10/29/15 - 12/7/15
- Giant Cranberry Health Mix, 21 oz., UPC 8826713692, with best if used by dates of 10/30/15 - 12/13/15
- Giant Cranberry Health Mix, 9.25 oz., UPC 8826714713, with best if used by dates of 10/30/15 -12/13/15
- Giant Roasted Salt Mixed Nuts, 9 oz., UPC 8826714736, with best if used by dates of 11/4/15 -12/13/15
- Aurora Forest Bounty Grail Mix, 17.5 oz., UPC 65585200496, with best if used by dates of 10/28/15 - 12/13/15
- Aurora Roasted No Salt Mixed Nuts, 9 oz., UPC 65585200243, with best if used by dates of 11/10/15 - 12/10/15
Giant has received no reports of illnesses to date. Consumption of food contaminated with Salmonella can cause salmonellosis, one of the most common bacterial foodborne illnesses.
Salmonella infections can be life-threatening, especially to those with weak immune systems, such as infants, the elderly and persons with HIV infection or undergoing chemotherapy.
The most common manifestations of salmonellosis are diarrhea, abdominal cramps, and fever within eight to 72 hours. Additional symptoms may be chills, headache, nausea and vomiting that can last up to seven days.
Customers who have purchased these products should discard any unused portions and bring their purchase receipt to Giant for a full refund.
Other Aurora products supplied to other stores have also been recalled. For the complete list from the U.S. Food and Drug Administration, click here.