The Catholic Diocese of Arlington released a list on Wednesday of 16 priests who the diocese says have been credibly accused of sexually abusing juveniles over the past 40 years.
Eight of the 16 priests listed were removed from public ministry from 1993 to 2007, the list notes. The other eight died before action was taken. Five were previously priests in the Diocese of Richmond and are alleged to have abused children before they were incardinated in the Diocese of Arlington in 1974.
You can view the list of accused priests here.
The list, published on the diocese website, is the result of work done by the Arlington Diocesan Review Board, a body created after the 2002 “Charter for the Protection of Children and Young People,” a set of guidelines for church officials responding to allegations of sexual abuse of minors by Catholic clergy.
The review board examines allegations and makes recommendations to the bishop about their credibility, a news release said.
“I made this commitment in the hope that providing such a list might help some victims and survivors of clergy sexual abuse to find further healing and consolation,” Arlington Bishop Michael F. Burbidge wrote in a letter to the diocese.
Priests on the list either admitted guilt; were found to be guilty in a criminal court, civil court or church process; or the review board in Arlington or Richmond found the allegation to be credible.
Burbidge said he felt embarrassment, frustration, anger and hurt as the list was published.
“Having met with numerous victims and survivors of sexual abuse, both in group settings and in individual meetings, I continue to be inspired by your strength and your resolve,” Burbidge said. “I am deeply sorry for what has happened to you.”