Bulldog Saves Family From Fire - NBC4 Washington

Bulldog Saves Family From Fire

Way to Go, Enzo!

    processing...

    NEWSLETTERS

    Bulldog Saves Family From Fire
    Enzo the Olde English Bulldog of Upper Marlboro, Md. helped save his family from a fire.

    Someone's probably getting extra belly rubs at an Upper Marlboro home -- namely Enzo, the Olde English Bulldog. Prince George's County Fire/EMS officials say he helped his family escape a fire in their house.

    The fire broke out sometime before 4 a.m. Monday. While the humans inside the house in the 17800 block of Central Avenue were sound asleep, Enzo was sniffing out some trouble. He started barking, and his family woke up. Just moments later, the smoke detectors started blaring.

    Heavy smoke and flames were shooting out from the basement. Thirty firefighters had the blaze knocked down in about 15 minutes. Officials say the alarms and Enzo's early warning allowed everyone to escape the house safely.

    While Enzo definitely deserves some extra treats, fire officials aren't advocating bulldogs as a primary fire safety measure. Make sure to have a working smoke alarm on every level of your home, and have map out an escape plan that has two ways out of every room.

    Also, practice your escape plan, and don't forget to bring the pets --  they likely wouldn't forget you in an emergency. Just ask Enzo.


    Fan, Follow and Text: Get the latest from NBCWashington.com anytime, anywhere. Follow us on Twitter and Facebook. Sign up for our e-mail newsletters and get breaking news delivered right to your mobile phone -- just text DCBREAKING to 622339 to sign up. (Message and data rates may apply.)