5 Kids Taken to Hospital Due to Excess of Chlorine in Pool

Five children were taken to a hospital after a malfunctioning pump caused too much chlorine to be added to a Fairfax County pool Friday afternoon, authorities said.

Hazmat units for the City of Fairfax Fire Department were called to the Fairfax Swimming Pool at 4200 Roberts Road after several children complained of respiratory problems and coughing. 

The fire chief said an electrical malfunction shut down the pool's pump and when the power came back on, the pump allowed a large amount of chlorine to flow into the pool.

The children are being evaluated at a hospital, O'Neal said. The injuries appear to be minor.

The pool remains closed while City of Fairfax Fire Department investigates.

This story has been corrected to clarify the cause of the excess chlorine.

Contact Us