A family in southeast Washington failed to follow a tip firefighters offer every Thanksgiving: Don't put too much oil in your turkey fryer or it will burn!
At about 2:30 p.m. Thursday a family that lives off of Fairlawn Avenue called 911. The oil from their fryer reportedly boiled over before the appliance overheated and caught fire.
D.C. firefighters responded and found the flaming appliance outside of the home. After a few hours, crews were able to settle the flames into a mere plume of smoke.
Nobody was hurt during the fryer fiasco.
The best news, though, was that it all happened before the turkey was even put into the fryer.
By getting the fryer fire in check, firefighters gave the family a second chance at Thanksgiving.