2 Adults Without Home After Fireplace Ashes Start Blaze in Md. | NBC4 Washington

Julie Carey, David Culver and the News4 team covering where you live

2 Adults Without Home After Fireplace Ashes Start Blaze in Md.

    processing...

    NEWSLETTERS

    Two adults are without a home after improperly disposed fireplace ashes started a fire at their Rockville, Maryland, home Tuesday night. (Published Wednesday, Dec. 21, 2016)

    Two adults are without a home after improperly disposed fireplace ashes started a fire at their Rockville, Maryland, home Tuesday night. 

    The homeowners found the fire in the garage of their Pasture Brook Way home at 10:45 p.m. and attempted to fight it, delaying the call to 911, Montgomery County Fire and Rescue spokesman Pete Piringer said.

    Piringer said a neighbor called 911 about the fire. 

    The fire spread to other parts of the home by the time firefighters arrived. Fire crews quickly extinguished the fire and will return to the neighborhood Wednesday to talk to residents about fire safety.

    Piringer said fireplace ashes that were placed in the garage about an hour before the fire caused the blaze. 

    No injuries were reported. 

    This is the second time misplaced fireplace ashes have destroyed a home in the D.C. area this week. 

    On Sunday,  a family of three was displaced from their home after fireplace ashes ignited a fire in their Fairfax County home.

    The Fairfax County Fire Department recommends the following tips for disposing fireplace ashes:

    • Do not discard your ashes into any combustible container such as a paper or plastic bag, a cardboard box, or a plastic trash can.
    • Do not place ash containers on decks, porches or in garages.
    • Put ashes into a non-combustible metal container with a lid.
    • Pour water into the container to make sure the ashes are cool.
    • Keep your can OUTSIDE the home, away from your fireplace or stove and anything combustible.
    • Teach all family members to be safe with ashes from your fireplace or wood stove.