Crews dig for clues at a Forrestville shopping mall.
Washington Gas crews were digging holes and taking air readings Monday morning to find out what caused a leak that prompted the evacuation of 13 stores on Sunday.
Emergency crews were called to the scene after high levels of natural gas were discovered inside the Marshalls and the adjoining eyeglasses store. Gas and electricity were shut off and the stores were ventilated. No one was injured.
That was not the case last May, when nine firefighters were injured while responding to a gas leak at the other end of the shopping center.
The huge explosion was captured on videotape. The blast blew off a large section of the roof and sprayed emergency crews with glass and debris. That section of the mall is still closed.