11 Treated for CO Poisoning in Maryland

Thursday, Jul 1, 2010  |  Updated 7:16 PM EDT
View Comments (
)
|
Email
|
Print
11 Treated for CO Poisoning in Maryland

Chronis Jons/Riser/Getty Images

advertisement

Authorities in Maryland are treating 11 people, including five children, for carbon monoxide poisoning.

Prince George's County Fire and EMS spokesman Mark Brady said officials were called to a three-story, 11-unit apartment building around 3:30 p.m. Thursday after a carbon monoxide detector went off. Brady says carbon monoxide levels were nearly 30 times what is considered safe.

Authorities removed 11 people from the building, five of them children ages 8 and under. Paramedics were treating them with oxygen but some were expected to be transported to a hospital for further treatment. Brady said their injuries did not appear to be life-threatening.

Officials determined the cause of the carbon monoxide to be a water heater ventilation system that had malfunctioned.
 

Get the latest headlines sent to your inbox!
View Comments (
)
|
Email
|
Print
Leave Comments
Join the Ride to Conquer Cancer
Join the Ride To Conquer Cancer, Sept. 13 Read more
Follow Us
Sign up to receive news and updates that matter to you.
Send Us Your Story Tips
Check Out