It's [not] the end of the world as we know it, and we feel fine... because there's plenty of parties to help us cope with the looming
uncertainty of Dec. 21, 2012.
Read on to find the tongue-in-cheek apocalypse party for you:
- Celebrate the End of the World at Duffy'sIrish Pub (2106 Vermont Ave. NW): Planners say: "Friday, Dec. 21, 9 p.m. until...well until everything blows up or whatever it's going to do... the Mayans weren't very specific." No cover; $15 unlimited Tecate cans, 9 p.m.-1 a.m.
- End of the World Party atthe Black Cat (1811 14th St. NW): The A.K.'s, The Max Levine Ensemble, The Shirks and Booze Riot will perform. "Come on down and party like it's...oh, you know," planners say. Doors 9 p.m.; $10.
- End of the World Party in the Fallout Shelter (700 H St. NE). BYT and AllThingsGoMusic.com have transformed an available space into a secure fallout shelther where you can protect yourself from meteors or zombies or whatever. Go for the massive group hug at midnight. 8:30 p.m.-2 a.m.; $20 in advance; $25 day of.
- Artpocalypse (The Dunes, 1402 Meridian Place NW): Visual artist Dana Ellyn got 20+ local artists to create works of art that predict or parody what the Mayans predicted for Dec. 21, 2012. The art presentation, obviously, will be accompanied by a party. 7 p.m.; no cover.
- End of the World at POV Lounge (515 15th St. NW): Take the elevator up to the lounge for spectacular views, signature cocktails $8) and the chance to have mentalist Alain Nu peer into your future (assuming there is a Dec. 22). 9 p.m.; no cover.