The U Street corridor is a hotbed of culture, nightlife and fun dining -- Ben's Chili Bowl, anyone? But the neighborhood is also making its mark as a fashion destination.
MidCity, the area surrounding the Lincoln Theatre, hosts a shopping event every month to showcase businesses on the cutting edge of style, art and home decor. Third Thursday may sound like just another workday for you, but in MidCity, it means special deals and fun events to attract customers. Stroll along 14th and U and peruse the shops, some of which stay open as late as 9 p.m.
While the area wants to get on the map as a fashion district, it's also celebrating the extension of Arena Stage's hit "Sophisticated Ladies" at the Lincoln Theatre. The musical revue, which has received rave reviews, celebrates the music and legacy of D.C.'s Duke Ellington. The show stars tapdancing legend Maurice Hines. This Thursday, participating stores will raffle off 20 pairs of free tickets.
All customers will also get a chance to will a bag of gift certificates to MidCity shops and restaurants. The grand prize is worth more than $300.
Participating stores and deals include:
- Cork Market and Tasting Room (1805 14th St. N.W.) -- 10 percent off cases of wine
- Habitat (1512 U St. N.W.) -- 50 percent off select items
- Home Rule (1807 14th St. N.W.) -- Free gift with purchase
- Lettie Gooch (1517 U St. N.W.) -- serving cocktails and mocktails 6-9 p.m., and 20 percent off all handbags, shoes and jewelry
- Miss Pixie's (1626 14th St. N.W.) -- 10 percent off all items 7-9 p.m.
- Rue 14 (1803 14th St. N.W.) -- 20 percent off all jewelry
- Toucan Boutique (1911 9th St. N.W.) -- discounts from 15-50 percent on spring and summer items
Let's go Around Town: Keep up with what's happening in the D.C. area anytime, anywhere. Follow us on Twitter and Facebook. Sign up for our e-mail newsletters and find out What You're Doing Tonight with texts delivered right to your mobile phone -- just text DCTONIGHT to 622339 to sign up. (Message and data rates may apply.) Don't forget our iPhone app!