Planning to spend some time in D.C. this Memorial Day weekend? Be prepared for several road closures due to parades and other events.
According to the Metropolitan Police Department and the U.S. Park Police, the following closures will be in effect:
United House of Prayer for All People Memorial Day Parade, Saturday, 12 p.m. to approximately 3 p.m., temporary road closures along the route
- The parade route begins at 6th and M Streets, NW
- North on 6th Street, NW to S Street
- West on S Street to 13th Street, NW
- South on 13th Street, NW to Logan Circle
- Southwest around Logan Circle to P Street
- East on P Street to 7th Street, NW
- South on 7th Street to M Street, NW
- East on M Street to end at the House of Prayer
Thunder Alley Event, 9 a.m. to 9 p.m. Saturday, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Sunday, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday
The following street closures will be in effect from 8 a.m. Friday until 5 p.m. Monday
- 22nd Street, NW between Constitution Avenue and C Street
Rolling Thunder Motorcycle Ride, Sunday 11:30 a.m. to approximately 4 p.m. on the following route:
- Beginning in the North Pentagon parking lot
- Crossing the Memorial Bridge to 23rd Street NW
- North on 23rd St. to Constitution Ave.
- East on Constitution Ave. to Pennsylvania Ave.
- East on Pennsylvania Ave to 3rd Street
- South on 3rd St to Independence Ave.
- West on Independence Ave to West Basin Dr.
- Southwest on West Basin Dr. to Ohio Dr.
- Northwest on Ohio Dr. to Franklin D. Roosevelt Park where the ride will end
The following streets along the route will be closed to traffic beginning at approximately 11:30 a.m. and are expected to be reopened at about 4 p.m.:
- Memorial Bridge, to include Memorial Avenue from Route 110 to Arlington Memorial Circle
- Ohio Drive from Independence Ave. to Virginia Ave.
- Ohio Drive, riverside, from the inlet Bridge to Independence Ave.
- Independence Ave. from 1st Street, SW to 23rd Street, SW
- Constitution Ave. from Pennsylvania Ave., NW to 23rd Street.
- 3rd, 4th, 7th, 12th, 14th, 15th, 17th and 23rd Streets between Independence Ave. and Constitution Ave., to include one block north of Constitution and one block south of Independence Ave.
- Henry Bacon and Daniel French Drives
In addition, beginning at 5:00 a.m., West Potomac Park will be closed between Inlet Bridge and the intersection of 23rd Street and Independence Avenue, SW. Park Police will assist motorists and pedestrians. Public transportation is recommended for the National Mall and the monuments and memorials. Allow extra time for the trip.
Memorial Day Parade, Monday along Constitution Avenue, NW, 2 p.m. to approximately 4 p.m.
- Constitution Avenue and the cross streets along the parade route will be closed to traffic beginning at approximately 1 p.m. until the event has concluded.
- Jefferson Drive and Madison Drive on the National Mall will be closed from 4th Street to 14th Street beginning at 6 a.m.
Stars and Stripes and Spokes Event
Parking restrictions will be enforced around RFK Stadium through Memorial Day weekend. DPW parking officers will enforce safety-related violations, including blocked fire hydrants, crosswalks and intersections, bus stops and driveways.