Here are your Evening Puck Headlines: A glorious collection of news and views collected from the greatest blogosphere in sports and the few, the proud, the mainstream hockey media.
• The Anaheim Ducks end the charade, return the captaincy of the team to Scott Niedermayer instead of
Stampy, the Leg Slicer Chris Pronger, who gets the 'A' along with Ryan Getzlaf. No word who wears the 'A' upon Pronger's next inevitable suspension. [Kukla]
• Just in time: Patrick O'Sullivan finally signs with the Los Angeles Kings. Per TSN: "Sources say it is worth an average of $2.925 million per year but will pay him $4 million in the upcoming season." Wow, score one for Dean Lombardi. [TSN]
• Among today's waiver wire fodder: Kyle McLaren and his $2.5 million contract for the San Jose Sharks; Boyd Devereaux and Staffan Kronwall of the Toronto Maple Leafs; Matt Pettinger (you sir are no Matt Cooke) and the KHL controversial Jason Krog of the Vancouver Canucks; Peter Schaefer of the Boston Bruins; Aaron Downey of the Detroit Red Wings, who seems chill about the whole thing; and Cory Murphy of the Florida Panthers (congrats, Jassen Cullimore). Or as we call them, our fantasy hockey team. [TSN]
• Interesting story on freshmen, and the challenges they face in their first seasons of college hockey. Besides, you know, a slight increase in beer consumption on weekdays. [College Hockey News]
• Either "blogger" Jason Pominville or his Buffalo Sabres media relations ghostwriter is extraordinarily dry. "We are all excited for Friday night's game against the Canadiens. Everyone seems focused. Everyone seems prepared. We know we have a job to do this year and we know we have to be in the playoffs." Gee, will ya give it 110 percent too, Pommer? [Sabres]
• Finally, the NHL would like to inform you of the rules changes for the 2008-09 season. And somehow Carrie Milbank doesn't end up on THIS video?