Vape Pen Explodes, Shatters Teen's Jaw - NBC4 Washington
National & International News
The day’s top national and international news

Vape Pen Explodes, Shatters Teen's Jaw

A 2017 U.S. report said it's clear that lithium-ion batteries are not "a safe source of energy" for vaping pens because they're at risk of overheating and exploding

    processing...

    NEWSLETTERS

    How Weight Loss Surgery Helped a Patient Rediscover His Voice
    Craig Mitchelldyer/AP
    In this April 16, 2019, file photo, a woman exhales while vaping from a Juul pen e-cigarette in Vancouver, Washington. While the FDA has warned e-cigarette manufacturers about marketing violations and illegal sales to minors, they haven't issued any warning letters about the potential for the batteries to overheat and explode.

    Austin Adams, 17, was trying to quit smoking. So he turned to electronic cigarettes in an attempt to ease his addiction to tobacco, NBC News reported.

    He found the one he wanted — a device from a company called VGOD — and asked his mother, Kailani Burton, to buy it for him. She did. Adams had been using the new device when it exploded in his mouth. The force knocked out several teeth and shattered his jaw.

    Just last week, the FDA finalized guidance for manufacturers who are submitting new applications for tobacco products, which includes e-cigarettes. The agency now recommends that companies provide detailed information about the kinds of batteries they use, as well as plans for addressing the likelihood of overheating, fire and explosion.

    But while the agency has sent warning letters to e-cigarette manufacturers about marketing violations and illegal sales to minors, they haven't issued any warning letters about the potential for the batteries to overheat and explode.

    Golf Ball Kills 6-Year-Old

    [NATL] Golf Ball Kills 6-Year-Old

    Community members in Orem, Utah are in shock after a freak golfing accident killed a little girl. Investigators say 6-year-old Aria Hill was sitting in a golf cart next to a tee box when her father hit a ball that struck her in the back of the head.

    (Published Wednesday, July 17, 2019)