Flood Concerns After Heavy Rain Mixes With Melting Snow Following Dangerously Icy Morning

Tuesday's heavy rain has subsided, and a flood warning for the area has expired

Our blast of winter weather is over, and Tuesday's heavy rain has subsided. But while a flood warning for the area has expired, flooding concerns remain.

Heavy rain -- nearly an inch -- fell across the area much of the day, and the rain coupled with melting snow. Temperatures are on the rise, and so were many creeks and streams Tuesday afternoon.

The water is flowing fast in Sligo Creek in Montgomery County, and drivers in Loudoun County were being forced to turn around at Shreve Mill Road in Leesburg due to high water. 

The excess water could cause problems on some roads this evening, and create new slick spots Wednesday morning when it all refreezes.

Compared to what the region just experienced, and what might be coming up, Tuesday afternoon seemed downright pleasant in comparison. The rain tapered off in early afternoon, and the flood warning ended at 2 p.m. for Anne Arundel, Prince George's and Montgomery counties in Maryland and Washington, D.C.

By mid-afternoon, temperatures had climbed into the high 40s and low 50s, and the icy roads caused by an overnight ice storm were no longer a concern.

But the morning's treacherous conditions prompted many schools to cancel class Tuesday. Schools in Montgomery, Prince George's and Anne Arundel counties in Maryland were closed, as were schools in Arlington, Alexandria, Falls Church and Fairfax County in Virginia. Go here for a full list of closures and delays.

Federal agencies in the D.C. area opened on a three-hour delay. Workers had the option to take unscheduled leave or unscheduled telework. 

Tuesday afternoon marked a stunning transition after more than 24 hours of winter weather. Snow began falling late Sunday night and continued through Monday afternoon, leaving up to 8 inches of snow in the hardest-hit areas. 


Washington, D.C., Maryland and Virginia local news, events and information

Shortage of CO2 Leads Local Brewery to Alternative Carbonation Methods

Ride-Share Driver Crashed Into Arlington Pub: Police

The snow transitioned into freezing rain Monday afternoon, making surfaces icy and leaving area roads very dangerous. Two people died in crashes Monday in Northern Virginia, about 12 hours apart.

In Loudoun County, a woman died after her vehicle rear-ended a backhoe on Route 7 around 7 p.m. Monday. The backhoe driver wasn't hurt. The road had been plowed, but it was slick. 

Earlier Monday, in Fauquier County, a 63-year-old man died after his SUV crossed the center line and hit a snowplow head-on near Marshall at about 7 a.m. The driver of the plow wasn't hurt. Virginia State Police said speed and slick road conditions were factors in the crash

Virginia State Police responded to hundreds of crashes and disabled vehicles Monday. Officials in Virginia asked drivers to delay unnecessary travel until weather conditions improved.

Due to the freezing rain and potential for hazardous roads, Metro suspended bus service at 10 p.m. Monday after a day of running on a severe snow service plan, with service limited to major corridors only. 

Monday ridership was extremely light due to the holiday, Metro said. Full service resumed Tuesday morning.

The winter weather didn't prompt many cancellations and delays Monday, as many people already had the day off for Presidents Day. The Smithsonian's National Zoo was closed Monday because of the inclement weather. 

Contact Us