D.C. firefighters had to withstand brutally cold winds while fighting blazing hot flames at a Shaw business Wednesday night.
The heavy winds fanned the flames that completely tore through Sumah's West African Restaurant and Carry Out on 7th Street NW just before 7 p.m.
D.C. Fire and EMS said no injuries were reported and firefighters managed to get the fire under control.
"I think the key element here was the wind. The winds were gusting and this was a wind-fanned fire. It made a bad fire a bit worse," DC Fire and EMS spokesperson Vito Maggiolo said.
"I am in so much shock, so much shock," Sumah's customer Elise Kolle said. Kolle was planning to get her dinner from the restaurant when she saw the fire.
Propane tanks on the building's roof also fueled the heavy blaze.
A volunteer canteen unit brought warm drinks and other refreshments to the firefighters as they braved the bitter cold.