What to Know
- Saturday will be mostly sunny with low humidity and afternoon highs around 80 degrees
- Expect much higher humidity Sunday and afternoon highs near 90, with a chance for isolated T-storms in the afternoon
- Memorial Day also looks partly to mostly sunny and warm, with highs in the upper 80s and chances of rain generally at 30% or less
In terms of swimming pools, white pants and cookouts, Memorial Day is the beginning of summer. A glorious long weekend is ahead, and there are many, many ways to enjoy it.
- Catch up on the summer forecast
- Best and worst times to travel for Memorial Day road trips
- Black Pride is this weekend, and there's a lot more pride coming
- Here are free and cheap things to do in D.C., Maryland and Virginia
- Outdoor pools are opening this weekend
Metro on Memorial Day
Metrorail is operating on a Sunday schedule, with trains running from 8 a.m. to 11 p.m. Parking is free at Metro garages. Remember that the six Blue and Yellow line stations south of Reagan National Airport are closed.
Let's Get Beachy
Throughout the Long Weekend
National Memorial in D.C. for Memorial Day Weekend
2 Lincoln Memorial Circle
Take time to remember fallen military men and women from post-9/11 wars at the Reflecting Pool at this display throughout the weekend.
DC Black Pride
Various times and locations
Throughout the long weekend, DC Black Pride is celebrating the African-American LGBTQ+ community at events including the Pride Ride, Pride in the Park and the Sounds of Pride Concert. Check the DC Black Pride website for a full schedule of events.
13648 Tarara Lane
Enjoy a sun and wine-filled Memorial Day weekend with tastings and picnics to celebrate 30 years of Tarara Winery. Ticket prices vary per event.
1500 S. Capitol St. SE
The Nats are facing off against the Miami Marlins all weekend at Nationals stadium.
Memorial Day Tours of the US Soldiers' and Airmen's Home National Cemetery
10 a.m. and 12:30 p.m.
President Lincoln's Cottage, 140 Rock Creek Church Road NW
To commemorate Memorial Day, take a guided tour of the United States Soldiers' and Airmen's Home National Cemetery. Learn about the history of Memorial Day and watch a wreath laying ceremony at the John Logan Mausoleum.
9 a.m.-5 p.m.
Thunder Alley will be open at 22nd Street NW and Constitution Avenue, with thousands of motorycle riders there to bring attention to POW and MIA service members.
Memorial Day Observance at The Wall
Vietnam Veterans Memorial
5 Henry Bacon Drive NW
Join veterans and families at the Vietnam Veterans Memorial to honor fallen U.S. Armed Forces men and women. Attendance is free, but you can register on the Vietnam Veterans Memorial Fund website.
The National Memorial Day Parade
Join hundreds of thousands of spectators at the largest Memorial Day parade in the country to pay tribute to serve our country. You can watch a livestream of the parade on Military.com.
Namaste and Rosé 2019
3333 Georgia Ave. NW
Celebrate Memorial Day with good drinks and vinyasa flow at Midlands Beer Garden. The event costs $15 a ticket which covers a yoga class and your choice of beer or rosé.
Top 10 Beaches Near the DC Area
- Your 2019 Guide to County Fairs in the DMV
- Music Festivals 2019: Dance the Summer Away in DC, Maryland, Virginia and Beyond
- Your Summer 2019 Outdoor Movie Roundup for DC, Maryland and Virginia
This edition of For Your Weekend was edited by Sophia Barnes.