D.C.-area cooling centers offer air conditioning, which can be vital for senior citizens, the homeless and anyone without A/C when extreme heat hits the area.
Read on for a list of cooling centers in our area:
- One Judiciary Square, 441 4th St., NW, 202-724-8613
- Frank D. Reeves Center (Lobby), 2000 14th St. NW, 202-671-057
- King Office Building (Lobby), 3720 Martin Luther King Ave. SE, 202-279-1800
- Virginia Williams Shelter for Families 920 Rhode Island Ave. NE
Emergency homeless cooling centers:
- Open Door Shelter for Women, 425 2nd St. NW (North Entrance)
- Catholic Charities 801 East Men's Shelter, 801 East Building, 2700 Martin Luther King Jr. Ave. SE
- New York Avenue Men’s Emergency Shelter, 1355 New York Ave. NE
- Adam's Place Emergency Shelter (Men) 2210 Adam's Place NE
- John L. Young Center for Women 425 D St. NW
- DC General Building #9 (Women), 1900 Massachusetts Ave. SE
Cooling centers for senior citizens:
- Arthur Capper, 900 5th St. SE, 202-546-1024
- Carroll Apartments, 410 M St. SE, 202-727-4069
- Fort Lincoln, 2855 Bladensburg Road NE, 202-576-6370
- Garfield, 2301 11th St. NW, 202-362-7452
- Horizon House, 1150 12th St. NW, 202-682-9395
- James Apartments, 1425 N St. NW, 202-673-2387
- Knox Hill, 2700 Jasper St. SE, 202-727-4005
- LeDroit, 2125 4th St. NW, 202-238-0483
- Sibley Plaza, 1140 N. Capitol St. NW, 202-289-0095
- Regency House, 5201 Connecticut Ave. NW, 202-362-4445
- Artisphere, 1101 Wilson Blvd.
- Walter Reed Community Center, 2909 S. 16th St.
- Madison Community Center, 3829 N. Stafford St.
- Dept. Parks & Rec Trades Center, S. Taylor Street, just off S. Arlington Mill Drive
- Pentagon City Mall, 250 S. Hayes St.
- Aurora Hills Library, 735 S. 18th St.
- Central Library, 1015 N. Quincy St.
- Charles Houston Recreation Center, 901 Wythe St.
- Cora Kelly Recreation Center, 25 W. Reed Ave.
- Barrett Library, 717 Queen St.
- Beatley Central Library, 5005 Duke St.
- Richard Montgomery High School, 250 Richard Montgomery Drive, Rockville
- Clarksburg High School, 22500 Wims Road, Clarksburg
- White Oak Recreation Center, 1700 April Lane, White Oak
Prince George's County
- Camp Springs Senior Activity Center, 6420 Allentown Road
- Camp Springs Glassmanor Community Center, 1101 Marcy Ave., Oxon Hill
- Curry Sports and Learning Complex, 8001 Sheriff Road, Landover
- Show Place Arena, 14900 Pennsylvania Ave., Upper Marlboro
Anne Arundel County
- Arnold Senior Center, 44 Church Road, Arnold
- Annapolis Senior Center, 119 South Villa Ave., Annapolis
- Brooklyn Park Senior Activity Center, 202 Hammonds Lane, Brooklyn Park
- O'Malley Senior Center, 1275 Odenton Road, Odenton
- Pasadena Senior Center, 4103 Mountain Road, Pasadena
- Pascal Senior Center, 125 Dorsey Road, Glen Burnie
- South County Senior Center, 27 Stepneys Lane, Edgewater
Public libraries, 9 a.m.-9 p.m.:
- Annapolis Area Library: 1410 West St., Annapolis
- Broadneck Community Library: 1275 Green Holly Drive, Annapolis
- Brooklyn Park Community Library: 1 East 11th Ave., Baltimore
- Crofton Community Library: 1681 Riedel Road, Crofton
- Capital Clubhouse, 3033 Waldorf Market Place, Waldorf, (9 a.m.-9 p.m.)
- Richard R. Clark Senior Center, 1210 Charles Street, La Plata, (9 a.m.-4 p.m.)
- Nanjemoy Community Center 4375 Port Tobacco Road, Nanjemoy, (8:30 a.m.-4:30 p.m.)
- Charles County Public Libraries (All branches: 9 a.m.-8 p.m)
- La Plata Branch, 2 Garrett Ave., La Plata
- P.D. Brown Memorial Branch, 50 Village St., Waldorf
- Potomac Branch, 3225 Ruth B. Swan Drive, Indian Head
- Waldorf West Library, 10405 O'Donnell Place, Waldorf
- Outdoor pools (Noon-8 p.m.)
- La Plata High School, 6035 Radio Station Road, La Plata
- Thomas Stone High School, 3785 Leonardtown Road, Waldorf
- McDonough High School, 7165 Marshall Corner Road, Pomfret (Noon-8 p.m.)
- Indoor pools (Noon-5 p.m.)
- Donald M. Wade Aquatic Center at St. Charles High School, 5305 Piney Church Road, Waldorf
- North Point High School, 2500 Davis Road, Waldorf
- Lackey High School, 3000 Chicamuxen Road, Indian Head (Noon-8 p.m.)
- Northeast Community Center, 4075 Gordon Stinnett Ave., Chesapeake Beach
Open Sunday-Thursday, 9 a.m.-10 p.m., and Friday-Saturday, 9 a.m.-11 p.m.
- Mt. Hope Community Center
104 Pushaw Station Road, Sunderland
Open Monday-Saturday, 9 a.m.-9:30 p.m., and Sunday, 12:30-6 p.m.
- Southern Community Center
20 Appeal Lane, Lusby
Open Monday-Saturday, 8:30 a.m.-10 p.m.; closed Sunday
- Edward T. Hall Aquatic Center
130 Auto Drive, Prince Frederick
Open Monday-Friday, 6 a.m.-9 p.m., Saturday, 8 a.m.-9 p.m. and Sunday, 8 a.m.-8 p.m.
- Lincoln Park Community Center, 357 Frederick Ave.
- Rockville Senior Center, 1150 Carnation Drive
- Thomas Farm Community Center, 700 Fallsgrove Drive
- Twinbrook Community Recreation Center, 12920 Twinbrook Parkway
St. Mary's County
- Garvey Senior Activity Center, 41780 Baldridge St., Leonardtown (8 a.m.-4:30 p.m.)
- Charlotte Hall Library, 37600 New Market Road, Charlotte Hall (9 a.m.-8 p.m.)
- Loffler Senior Activity Center, 21905 Chancellors Run Road, Great Mills (8 a.m.-4:30 p.m.)
- Leonardtown Library, 23250 Hollywood Road, Leonardtown (9 a.m.-8 p.m.)
- Northern Senior Activity Center, 29655 Charlotte Hall Road, Charlotte Hall (8 a.m.-4:30 p.m.)
- Lexington Park Library, 21677 FDR Blvd., LExington Park (9 a.m.-8 p.m.)