Investigators: Driver Who Fatally Hit Baby Deleted Voicemail - NBC4 Washington

Julie Carey, David Culver and the News4 team covering where you live

Investigators: Driver Who Fatally Hit Baby Deleted Voicemail

    Winter Olympics PyeongChang 2018 Medal Count


    4 to Watch: US Goes for Repeat Sweep

    The driver who hit and killed a 5-month-old boy and seriously hurt the infant's mother deleted a voicemail on his cellphone before it was used to call 911, investigators believe.

    Newly filed search warrant documents reveal that investigators want to hear the voicemail the driver deleted at the time of the crash.

    Mindy Schulz was pushing her infant son, Tristan, in a stroller in a crosswalk on Riverside Parkway in Landsdowne, Virginia, when an SUV hit them just after 8:15 a.m. The mother and son were rushed to a hospital, where the baby died.

    Court documents say the driver, who has not been charged, deleted a voicemail. The phone then was used to call 911. Investigators have asked the cellphone provider to preserve the record of that voicemail so they can find out what was said.

    Documents Suggest Driver in Crash that Killed Baby Was Distracted

    [DC] Documents Suggest Driver in Crash that Killed Baby Was Distracted
    Search warrant documents have revealed new details in a deadly crash that killed a baby in a stroller in Landsdowne, Va. They suggest the driver who struck the baby and the child's mother may have been distracted at the time. News4's Julie Carey reports.
    (Published Friday, Sept. 2, 2016)

    A witness to the crash told police the SUV driver had been "holding a phone in his left hand, as if he was watching or reading something," court documents said.

    The witness said the SUV driver was tailgating the vehicle in front of him and appeared to speed up to try to get ahead of the Schulzes. The "walk" sign was illuminated as the mother and son crossed the street, the witness said.

    After the SUV driver struck them, the witness said the driver pulled onto a grassy shoulder area and crouched next to his vehicle.

    When police arrived to the scene, the driver's lawyer was there and told investigators the driver would not provide a statement.