If you’re planning to take Metro to the National Mall on Inauguration Day, here are four things Metro suggests bringing to make your trip less stressful:
• A farecard -- Metro urges passengers to have enough money on a regular farecard for a round trip fare and buy them in advance of Inauguration Day.
• Cash -- Parking at Metrorail stations is $4 cash only; it will be collected on entry.
• A mobile phone -- Passengers can sign up for Metro’s special inaugural text messages to keep informed about rail and bus updates in real time, at www.wmata.com/inauguration.
• Metro's inauguration guide -- It features a walking map complete with directions, a Metrorail map and bus route information; rail stations and bus drop-off and pick-up stops.
Riders are also urged to map out alternative ways to getting where they want to go. The maps can be found on buses, at rail station kiosks or online at www.wmata.com/inauguration.
Meanwhile, here's a list of what NOT to bring on Metro:
• Signs or placards that are more than 18" by 18" or are affixed to a pole
• Large coolers
To see Metro's video version of travel musts on Inauguration Day, visit http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gP0P8aNWcVc.