14-Year-Old Charged in Sister's Death - NBC4 Washington

14-Year-Old Charged in Sister's Death

White Oak teen held without bond, charged with first-degree murder



    The father of a baby girl is grieving after her death. Police say the 7-month-old was killed by her 14-year-old brother. (Published Tuesday, Feb. 12, 2013)

    The father of a baby girl whose brother has been charged in her death is grieving the loss.

    In an interview with News4's Erika Gonzalez, the baby's father -- who only wanted to be identified as Mr. Sanchez -- said he last saw his daughter the day before she died, never thinking it would be the last time he held her.

    But on Saturday, when he arrived at her mother's home, police met him by the door and told him that 7-month-old Larissa Yanes had died.

    Larissa's older brother, 14, has been charged as an adult with first-degree murder.

    14-Year-Old Charged With Infant's Murder

    [DC] 14-Year-Old Charged With Infant's Murder
    A 14-year-old boy from White Oak, Md., is charged as an adult for the murder of his 7-month-old sister. News4's Pat Collins reports.
    (Published Monday, Feb. 11, 2013)

    A hearing Feb. 22 will determine if he should remain charged as an adult or be charged as a juvenile instead. He is being held without bond.

    Investigators say that the children's mother, Gloria Yanes, 39, left their apartment in the 11600 block of Lockwood Drive at 10:30 p.m. Thursday to go to work, leaving the boy to watch Larissa and their 3-year-old sister.

    By law in Maryland, a child can babysit upon reaching the age of 12.

    Teen Arrested in Baby Sister's Death

    [DC] Teen Arrested in Baby Sister's Death
    News4's Darcy Spencer has the very latest on the death of a 7-month-old girl in White Oak and the arrest of her older brother.
    (Published Sunday, Feb. 10, 2013)

    Detectives said that during the evening, the boy beat Larissa with his hands, elbows and a belt, which caused her to cry. The teen told police he then covered Larissa's nose and mouth with his hands until she stopped crying, and placed her in a car seat.

    Gloria Yanes returned to the apartment at around 5:30 a.m. Friday and attempted to wake Larissa to feed her about half an hour later. She called authorities when she couldn't get the baby to respond.

    Larissa Yanes was pronounced dead at Holy Cross Hospital shortly before 7 a.m. Friday.

    Sanchez said he is devastated by the loss of his daughter. "It's like the world is ending," he said.