The arrival of spring in D.C. means gorgeous weather, festive parades and of course, the long-awaited bloom of the cherry blossoms. Accordingly, local eateries have spruced up their menus with cherry-inspired, cherry-infused and cherry-garnished plates (and drinks, of course).
Read on for some of our faves:
Jaleo pays tribute to the cherry with a garden cocktail and new dishes:
- Salmón a la plancha con puré de coliflor y cerezas: seared salmon with cauliflower purée and cherries ($12)
- Panceta confitada con salsa de cereza: pork belly confit with cherry sauce ($12)
- Cordero a la brasa con salsa de cerezas 'Santa Coloma de Cervello': grilled lamb T-bones with cherry sauce ($14)
- Spanish Garden Cocktail: made with gin, chrysanthemum syrup, orange jam, lemon juice and green chartreuse ($12)
Lincoln Restaurant takes pride in their seasonal menu showcases and use of fresh local ingredients. This year, they present some special treats to complement the blossoms.
- Cherry Coke pulled pork sandwich: cherry mustard, potato roll, wilted broccoli lettuce ($13)
- Rabbit and nettle gnocchi: braised rabbit confit, smoked morels, pickled sour cherries ($15)
- Amaretto sugar-dusted doughnuts: sour cherry compote, vanilla pudding ($11)
Kick back on the outdoor patio at Teddy & The Bully Bar, where the menu and atmosphere aim to invoke the true American spirit of President Theodore Roosevelt. New cherry dishes add unique flavor to the simple American menu.
- Coffee-rubbed lamb loin: Sorghum ancient grain, cherry port reduction, minted pea puree ($18)
- Charred Coke-brined octopus: Toasted almonds, quinoa, crispy cardoons, orange mint vinaigrette ($17)
- Oven-roasted cherry clafoutis, served with white chocolate coffee ice cream ($9)
What’s dinner without drinks? Bring your springtime dining experience full circle by heading to Georgetown to indulge in concentrated cherry concoctions.
- The Cherry Graham: Captain Morgan white rum, maraschino liquer, lemon juice, hibiscus syrup, brandied cherries, garnished with a cherry ($7)
- Fiery Cherries: Cherries are soaked in brandy and set ablaze table-side, poured on top of white chocolate mousse and served with dried cherry and pistachio tuile ($8)
- The Cherry Blossom: Cognac, sour cherry infused curaçao, fresh lemon, cherry heering, garnished with infused sour cherries ($12)
- Cherry Blossom Sparkle: Plymouth Sloe Gin, housemade blossom orgeat, champagne, garnished with infused sour cherries ($12)
- The Gift: Sake, maraschino liqueur, pineapple juice, peychaud’s aromatic bitters ($12)
Culinary cocktail lab Barmini also designed several new springtime cocktails to push your tastebuds to the limit:
- Essential Pollen: Honey vodka, lemon, chamomile, egg white ($12)
- Aroma Therapy: Gin, lemon, vermouth blanc, lavender, soda ($12)
- Juana Giallo: Yellow & green chartreuse, galiano, saffron, orange, orange blossom, cream, egg ($14)
- Violette Fizz: Crème de violette, cream, gin, lemon ($16)