Parties Celebrate Repeal of 'Don't Ask, Don't Tell'
On Tuesday, Sept. 20, the Service Members' Legal Defense Network will celebrate the repeal of the military's Don't Ask, Don't Tell law with bashes across the area. Below, some of the highlights:
- Join JR's Bar & Grill (1519 17th St. N.W.) as they celebrate their 25th anniversary and serve as hosts to the Service Members' Legal Defense Network's official after-party. Party with an open bar on rail vodka and draft beer from 10-11 p.m., and a completely open bar for those with a military ID during the same hour. 9 p.m.-2 a.m.; no cover.
- Continue your celebration at K Street Lounge (1301 K St. N.W.) with SLDN staff and supporters, and an open bar. 6-10 p.m.; $20 donations suggested.
- Visit the upstairs bar at Rock Bottom Brewery (7900 Norfolk Ave., Bethesda) to score $2 off in-house brews and wine, and $1 off specials on rail drinks, plus food specials. 5:30-7 p.m.; no cover.
- The Young Democrats of Maryland and Montgomery County will host a happy hour on the upper floor of Dogfishhead Alehouse (800 W. Diamond Ave., Gaithersburg, Md.), with $1 off their artisan draft beers. Donations for military families are welcome and they promise there won't be any long speeches! 5:30-8:30 p.m.; no cover.
- Get to PW's Sports Bar & Grill (9855 Washington Blvd., Laurel, Md.) -- voted Maryland's Best Gay Bar -- before 8 p.m. for their daily happy hour with $2 domestic pints and $3 domestic 22-ounce drafts. Monday is also trivia night with discounts on all beers after happy hour ends and half off starters. 5:30 p.m.-2 a.m.; no cover.
- Sing the praises of the repeal at Freddie's Beach Bar (555 23rd St., Arlington) with the Arlington Gay Lesbian Alliance, the Arlington Democrats, Arlington Greens... and a night full of karaoke. 8-11 p.m.; no cover.
Check Out the Scene: Keep up with what's happening in the D.C. area anytime, anywhere. Follow us on Twitter and Facebook. Sign up for our e-mail newsletters, download our iPhone app or join our Flickr group.