National & International News
The day’s top national and international news

Man in Facebook Killing Case Pleads Not Guilty

A grand jury indicted 31-year-old Derek Medina on a first-degree murder charge in the shooting death of his wife, 26-year-old Jennifer Alonso.

View Comments ()
|
Email
|
Print

    NEWSLETTERS

    Derek Medina in court on Wednesday as he entered a not guilty plea to the first-degree murder charge.

    A Florida man accused of killing his wife and posting pictures of her corpse on Facebook pleaded not guilty to a charge of first-degree murder on Wednesday.

    The hearing came after a grand jury indicted Derek Medina, 31, on a first-degree murder charge in the Aug. 8 shooting death of his wife, 26-year-old Jennifer Alonso. His attorneys have said he was acting in self-defense.

    Alleged Facebook Killer Derek Medina Now Faces First-Degree Murder Charge: Court Records

    [MI] Alleged Facebook Killer Derek Medina Now Faces First-Degree Murder Charge: Court Records
    Derek Medina, the South Miami man who allegedly killed his wife and posted a photo of her body on Facebook, now faces a first-degree murder charge, according to online court records. (Published Monday, Dec 2, 2013)

    Medina previously pleaded not guilty to the first-degree murder and child neglect charges, and had not entered a plea for the shooting a deadly missile charge.

    Medina told detectives he shot Alfonso in self-defense after she continually punched him and pulled a knife on him in their South Miami townhouse, according to Medina’s sworn statement to police.

    Accused Facebook Murderer Talks Marital Problems in Jailhouse Video

    [MI] In Jailhouse Video, Accused Facebook Murderer Derek Medina Talks About Marital Problems
    Newly released video of accused Facebook killer Derek Medina shows him talking to a corrections officer about his marital problems as he is being locked up. NBC 6’s Myriam Masihy reports. (Published Friday, Oct 18, 2013)

    Medina took the knife away from his wife and put it back into a kitchen drawer before the shooting, a police search warrant said.

    Medina could get the death penalty if convicted of murder in the Aug. 8 shooting at the couple's South Miami home. The prosecution has not said if they will seek that sentence.

    The judge scheduled a tentative trial for March 2014. Medina is being held without bond.

    Prosecutors say evidence shows Medina had previously vowed to kill his wife if she ever attempted to leave him.

    Medina repeatedly shot Alfonso at point-blank range as she may have been kneeling and trying to shield her face, according to a medical examiner’s report.

    Medina admitted to posting the photo of his wife’s body and an admission on his Facebook page before he surrendered to police, according to the warrant.

    He said he posted the photo to notify his wife’s family, the sworn statement said.

    Medina called his boss to confess to the crime, a 911 call released in October revealed.

    More NBC6.com Stories: