Discarded Smoking Material Caused Md. Hotel Fire

View Comments (
)
|
Email
|
Print

    NEWSLETTERS

    News4's Shomari Stone spoke with a woman displaced by a fire at a Silver Spring hotel.

    Fire officials say improperly discarded smoking material caused a fire at a Silver Spring hotel Monday night.

    Crews responded to the Days Inn in the 8000 block of 13th Street around 7 p.m. Four rooms were deemed uninhabitable.

    "Once they got the firefighters on the roof, they were able to cut the rood open and peel it back to see exactly how far the fire had spread," Scott Graham with Montgomery County Fire and Rescue said. "It appears as though the fire started at the ground level."

    No injuries were reported.

    News4's Shomari Stone spoke with a woman who was staying at the hotel and didn't even have time to grab her shoes when she evacuated. 

    Officials want to remind smokers to only use approved containers to discard their cigarettes, not the ground.