A grease fire caused $100,000 worth of damage to a Tysons Corner-area Chinese restaurant Tuesday afternoon.
Fairfax County Fire and Rescue Department units responded to China Wok at 8395 Leesburg Pike around 2:45 p.m. They arrived to find heavy black smoke coming from the roof, and fire coming from the ventilation ducts.
Firefighters brought the fire under control within about 25 minutes.
Employees had unsuccessfully attempted to put out the fire with an extinguisher before firefighters arrived.
About a dozen employees and customers escaped unharmed. About 20 employees and customers from adjoining businesses in the shopping center were also evacuated.
The neighboring businesses reopened about 6 p.m. China Wok remains closed.
Fire investigators said the fire was accidental and began in the kitchen.