A three-alarm fire in Prince George’s County affected 33 apartments Monday afternoon.
The fire at Sutton Walk Apartments on 85th Avenue in New Carrollton, Md., apparently started in a rear apartment and extended through the top two floors and into the attic, News4's Darcy Spencer reported.
Utilities to all 33 units in the three-building complex were shut off while firefighters battled the blaze. Fifty firefighters needed about 30 minutes to knock down the bulk of the blaze. They managed to keep the fire from spreading from the building where it originated, according to the Prince George's County Fire Department.
At least 11 units are uninhabitable, according to Prince George's County Fire.
One firefighter was taken to Washington Hospital Center with a minor burn injury. He was expected to be treated and released.
No residents required rescuing.
The fire was accidental, starting in a malfunctioning natural gas stove. The loss is estimated at $750,000.