Sixteen people are interested in serving the rest of former Anne Arundel County Executive John Leopold's term, including a former first lady of Maryland.
The deadline to apply was noon Friday.
Kendel Ehrlich, wife of former Gov. Bob Erlich, is on the list. Acting County Executive John Hammond announced he was applying on Friday. Anne Arundel County Delegate Steve Schuh also has put his name in for consideration.
The other 13 candidates are:
- Former county executive candidate Tom Angelis
- Former Maryland Delegate Phil Bissett
- Former Annapolis alderman David Cordle
- Political consultant Ingrid Dean
- Former state senate candidate Ron Elfenbein
- Former county executive John Gary
- Glen Burnie resident Rick Hoover
- Former county sheriff candidate Patrick Jameson
- Odenton resident Curtis Kingland
- Entrepreneur and former interim director of the county's homeland security incubator Laura Neuman
- Glen Burnie resident Millard Snowden
- Former Congressional candidate James Wilhelm
- Former state delegate candidate Derick Young
The County Council is scheduled to choose a replacement Thursday. According to the county's charter, the vacancy must be filled by another Republican within 30 days.