The following recipes were provided by Chef Laverne Franklin-Jones at the 2012 NBC4 Health & Fitness Expo. For additional information or questions, please contact the chef at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Pastas e Fagioli with Sausage
2-3 cans (15 to 19 ounces each) Great Northern or Cannelli Beans, rinsed and drained
1 pound sweet Italian sausage links, casings removed
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 medium onion, chopped (or 1 large)
2 garlic cloves, crushed
1 can (28 ounces) plum tomatoes
3 1/2 cups chicken broth
1-2 cups water
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon pepper
1 teaspoon basil or Italian seasoning
1 cup mini-pasta (e.g., penne, ditalini or tubetti)
5 ounces spinach, washed and dried, trimmed and cut into 1-inch-wide strips
Freshly grated Parmesan cheese (optional)
1. Heat 5-quart Dutch oven over medium-high heat until very hot.
2. Add sausage and cook until well browned, breaking up the sausage with the side of a spoon. Transfer sausage to a bowl.
3. Add beans, broth, water, salt, pepper, and basil or Italian seasoning; heat to boiling over high heat.
4. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 30 minutes.
5. Add sausage and heat through.
6. In a separate 4-quart saucepan, cook pasta as directed on label, but do not add salt to water; drain.
7. Stir in spinach and cooked pasta into the soup.
8. Serve with Parmesan, if you like.
Makes 16 cups or 8 main-dish servings.
NOTE: This recipe was based upon a recipe in The Good Housekeeping Cookbook, 1999.
1. Preheat oven to 350.
2. Slice bread into strips.
3. Place on a baking sheet.
4. Brush with melted butter.
5. Dust with garlic powder and Italian seasoning.
6. Bake for 5-8 minutes, until lightly browned.
7. Remove from the oven and serve while warm.
Apple Berry Sparkler
6 ounces frozen apple juice concentrate, thawed & undiluted
6 ounces can frozen cranberry juice concentrate, thawed and undiluted
6 cups sparkling water, chilled
Lemon or lime slices
1. Combine apple juice and cranberry juice concentrates; cover & chill
2. Stir in chilled mineral water.
3. Serve over ice
4. Garnish with lemon or lime slices (optional)