Putting the “mock” in mock draft, the Redskins drafted a prospect that wasn’t on anyone’s board.
After trading their 10th pick to the Jaguars for the 16th pick and a coveted second-round pick, they landed defensive end Ryan Kerrigan.
And Redskins nation breathed a sigh of relief.
Although he was predicted to go in the top 20, he wasn’t as highly profiled as some of the other draft picks available. So who is Ryan Kerrigan?
- Named Big Ten Defensive Player of the Year in 2010
- He’ll fit into Shanahan’s plan better than that other guy. “I want to be as versatile as possible,” he said in an interview with DraftScout.com. “So if being a 3-4 linebacker is what it takes, then I’ll be willing to do that.”
- He has no plans to blow his signing bonus on a flashy car. Just a burger or two. “I honestly probably won’t buy anything out of the ordinary. I’m a pretty down to Earth guy. I don’t really need too many big things to make me happy. I just need some food and that’s about it, and I’m good to go.”
- He's not ashamed to admit he has the iPod of a 13-year-old girl. “I’m pretty sure there’s a Miley Cyrus song on there. ‘Party in the U.S.A.’”
- Despite new teammate Chris Cooley’s disapproval, he is not attached to his hair. "There comes a time where you've just gotta part with some things and the hair was that for me. It was too long and it's nice not to have something hanging in your face all day long. I mean, I loved the long hair, but I'm glad it's gone."
- Kerrigan played high school basketball for Muncie Central, the team that was the inspiration for the South Bend team in Hoosiers.
This highlight reel is just a preview of what he can bring to the Redskins.