How to File a Snowplow Damage Claim - NBC4 Washington

Susan Hogan and the Consumer Watch team covering your consumer concerns

How to File a Snowplow Damage Claim



    How to Report Snowplow Damage

    Do you know how to file a claim for snowplow damage? Consumer reporter Susan Hogan found out for several jurisdictions. (Published Monday, Feb. 1, 2016)

    As the snow melts, it may reveal damage to your car, mailbox or lawn caused by snowplows.

    If you want to file a damage claim in D.C., you can download the form online but you can't submit it online. The only way to submit a claim in D.C. is to mail it or hand deliver it.

    In Montgomery County, Maryland, you can submit a claim to the county online even if the state Department of Transportation's plow caused the damage.

    But in Prince George's County, it contracts with a third party, so you have to submit a claim through that company.

    In Fairfax County, Virginia, you can submit your claim online. Once submitted, expect a response within two business days.

    In parts of Fairfax and all of Loudoun and Prince William counties, Virginia's Department of Transportation is responsible for plowing snow, not the county, so you need to go to VDOT's website to submit a claim or give them a call at 1-800-367-ROAD. Online, click on "REPORT A ROASD PROBLEM" at the top of the page, then select "I want to submit a claim."

    In Alexandria you can submit a claim online under its risk management site.

    And in Arlington, snow damage claims are filed under potholes. Arlington will change its website and add snow damage so it is easier to find in the future.