In D.C., the State of the Union speech is a social event as much as a political one. Here's a short list of events and specials you'll find around town; if you know of more, please tweet them @dcscene.
- Each of the four Busboys & Poets locations is holding a State of the Union viewing party. At 2021 14th St. NW, performance poet/activist/mentor Jonathan B. Tucker will host. 9 p.m.; $5.
- DC9 (1940 9th St. NW) is showing the speech, with one screens featuring the enhanced version from the White House (courtesy of YouTube): "Something about extra charts and stuff." Happy hour (5-8 p.m.) specials are $2.50 Bud and Bud Light bottles, $3 rail cocktails and $3 beer of the week. During the speech (9 p.m.), DC Braus are $4. No cover.
- Fiesta Lounge (1327 Connecticut Ave. NW) hosts the official Obama-Biden 2012 party. Daily happy hour (4:30-7 p.m.) has all tapas as buy-one-get-one-free, plus $3.50 Margaritas and house wines, $2.25 drafts, $4.25 cocktails and more. No cover.
- Lounge 201 (201 Massachusetts Ave. NW) is pairing the State of the Union with $4 SOTU-tinis. No cover.
- When you arrive at Ventnor Sports Cafe (2411 18th St. NW), choose a word, and if it's said during the sppech, you'll "earn" a $1 Jell-O shot. 9 p.m.; $5 cover.