UMD Hires New Head Football Coach After Fallout Over Death of Jordan McNair

What to Know

  • The University of Maryland says it hired a new coach, Michael Locksley, who was just named top assistant coach in the country
  • Locksley is currently the offensive coordinator at The University of Alabama, but has coached for Maryland twice before
  • The school fired football coach DJ Durkin and athletic trainers after the death of a player in June

The University of Maryland has named a Terps alum as the team's new football coach after months of upset over the death of player Jordan McNair.

Michael Locksley, who previously coached for the Terps in two stints totaling 10 years, will return to his home turf after coaching at The University of Alabama.

"This has always been a special place for me and my family, and I am honored to take on this role at the state’s flagship institution," the D.C. native said.

The news broke hours after Locksley was named the winner of the 2018 Broyles Award, which honors the country's best assistant coach.

Locksley spent the last three years at Alabama, including last season as co-offensive coordinator and this year as the Crimson Tide's offensive coordinator.

Locklsey played for Towson University and was named MVP in 1991.

"Michael not only stood out for his talent as a coach, but most importantly for the role he has played as a mentor to student-athletes throughout his career and his deep commitment to helping them grow into leaders on and off the field," Director of Athletics Damon Evans said in a statement.

Locksley's hiring comes after student protests and unrest among Maryland's football program following the death of player Jordan McNair, who collapsed during a team workout in June and died two weeks later. The new coach replaces DJ Durkin, who was fired after students protested an announcement that he would stay with the team.

Two University of Maryland athletic trainers, Wes Robinson and Steve Nordwall, drew the bulk of the blame in football player Jordan McNair’s death and were also fired.

An independent investigation into McNair’s death led by Dr. Rod Walters, a former college athletic trainer and sports medicine consultant, determined trainers at the scene did not follow proper procedures. The investigation found an hour and 39 minutes passed between the time McNair collapsed and the departure of the ambulance from the campus.

Copyright AP - Associated Press
Contact Us