Investigation Continues Into Homeless Man Killed by Police in Hollywood - NBC4 Washington
National & International News
The day’s top national and international news

Investigation Continues Into Homeless Man Killed by Police in Hollywood

One witness said the officers hit the man with a baton after he was already dead



    Authorities were continuing their investigation into a fatal officer-involved shooting of a homeless man who allegedly was wielding a knife in Hollywood Sunday. Witnesses said a homeless man who was shot and killed by police after allegedly charging them holding a knife kept to himself most of the time. Jacob Rascon reports live from Hollywood for the NBC4 News at Noon on Monay, April 14, 2014. (Published Monday, April 14, 2014)

    Los Angeles police officers shot and killed a knife-wielding homeless man outside a discount store in Hollywood on Sunday, officials said.

    Officers responded to a call around 3:45 p.m. about a man breaking items at a 99 Cents Only store near Sunset and Hobart boulevards, according to the Los Angeles Police Department.

    When officers arrived at the store, they allegedly found the man outside the store carrying a knife.

    During the confrontation, officers used a stun gun on the man, but "he continued to come at the officers," who then opened fire, LAPD Cmdr. Dennis Kato said.

    A witness said he heard three or four shots. One witness said an officer beat the man with a baton after he was shot.

    “He was already dead and another police came and hit him in the arm two times,” the witness said.

    Authorities did not comment on the claim, but said they were investigating the entire incident.

    Tim Nicholson said the homeless man went by "Dougie," and that he mostly kept to himself.

    "He had a short temper but, you know, he was a good guy," Nicholson said.

    No officers were hurt in the incident.

    Police said a knife was recovered at the scene.

    A stretch of Sunset Boulevard was closed during the investigation but has since then been re-opened as of 1:15 a.m. Monday.

    A person who lives in the neighborhood said the trouble began when the man got in an argument with a store security guard after trying to take a shopping cart.

    "I feel for the guy that went down, and he died over like a shopping cart, so it sort of doesn't make sense," the witness said.