Smoke Detector Saves Woman From Burning Md. Home

Fire officials said a smoke alarm saved a woman's life after an overnight fire tore through her Chevy Chase, Maryland home. 

After entertaining dozens of family members for Christmas, the woman was sleeping inside her Cummings Lane home, when the smoke detector went off at 2 a.m., Pete Piringer, spokesman for the Montgomery County Fire and Rescue Service, said.

The woman was able to get out of the home and call a family member for help. Another 911 call came in as emergency crews were headed to the scene. 

The fire spread quickly, leaving parts of the home charred and significantly damage. Pictures from the scene showed the charred remains of a Christmas tree in the corner of one room. 

Piringer said the fire started in the living toom and was likely electrical in nature. 

Contact Us