Metro's Yellow Line began a two-week shutdown for repairs Monday that will last through Sunday, Dec. 9.
You can use the Blue Line to travel between Virginia and D.C., Metro officials said. The Blue Line will also serve the Eisenhower Avenue and Huntington stations.
But expect delays and crowding because train frequency will be cut by half during rush hour. Trains will run every 16 minutes during the day and every 20 minutes after 8 p.m.
Metro says the Rush Hour Promise refund program will not be in effect for Yellow and Blue line trips.
The closure comes about two weeks after two Blue Line stations closed over Veterans Day weekend, causing traffic chaos near Reagan National Airport.
Here are a few alternatives Metro will provide:
- Free shuttles from Pentagon to Franconia-Springfield or L'Enfant Plaza stations until 8 p.m.
- Free shuttles during rush hour between Crystal City and L'Enfant Plaza.
- Nonstop free shuttle between Franconia-Springfield and L'Enfant Plaza during rush hour.
- Regular Metro bus and county bus service (see full list below)
On Saturday, Dec. 1 and Sunday, Dec. 2, the Archives and Waterfront stations will be closed. The lower level of Gallery Place and upper level of L'Enfant Plaza will also be closed. Shuttle replacements will be available.
The two-week closure will allow crews to complete repairs, especially around the Yellow Line bridge over the Potomac. Metro says the bridge is structurally sound, but the rails and tracks need maintenance in the area.
Here are bus routes Metro lists as possible alternatives to your regular commute:
- Metroway - Braddock Road - Crystal City - Pentagon City
- 3Y - East Falls Church - Rosslyn - Farragut West - Farragut North - McPherson Sq
- 5A - Dulles - Rosslyn - L'Enfant Plaza
- 7Y - Pentagon - Farragut Square
- 10A - Huntington - Braddock Road - Old Town - Pentagon
- 10B - Hunting Point - Braddock Road - Ballston
- 11Y - Mt. Vernon - Old Town - Farragut Square
- 16C - Culmore - Pentagon - Federal Triangle
- 23A - Crystal City - Tysons Corner
- 23B - Crystal City - Ballston
- 38B - Ballston - Clarendon - Court House - Rosslyn - Georgetown - Farragut North - Farragut West
- Route 393, 394, 395 - Springfield - Pentagon (via Saratoga Park & Ride)
- Route 494 - Lorton - Springfield - Tysons
- Route 495 - Burke Centre - Tysons
- Route 599 - Pentagon - Crystal City Express
- AT2- Lincolnia -Braddock Road - Old Town Alexandria
- AT3 - Braddock Road - Pentagon
- AT4 - Braddock Road - Pentagon
- AT5 - Eisenhower Avenue Metro (weekend only) - Braddock Road - Old Town Alexandria - Van Dorn Street
Arlington Transit (ART)
- ART 42 - Ballston - Clarendon - Pentagon - Pentagon City
- ART 43 - Crystal City - Ballston
PRTC - OmniRide
- Dale City - Downtown Washington
- Dale City - Pentagon/Rosslyn
- Dale City - Navy Yard
- Lake Ridge - Downtown Washington
- Lake Ridge - Pentagon/Crystal City
- Woodbridge - Tysons Corner
- Rosslyn - Georgetown - Dupont Circle