Charles County

Man Critically Injured After Cigarette, Oxygen Tank Start Fire

A Charles County man using an oxygen tank was critically injured Monday night after the cigarette he was smoking started a fire.

Fire crews were called to a home at 7974 Oakwood Lane in Pomfret  just before 8 p.m. for a report of a fire.

The victim, a 64-year-old man, was smoking while receiving oxygen therapy. Fire officials say the oxygen enriched atmosphere ignited in flames, catching the man's clothes on fire.

The victim's wife found him and helped him get out of their home.

The man was airlifted to MedStar Washington Hospital in critical condition. His wife was taken to Charles Regional Medical Center for treatment of minor smoke inhalation. 

Damage to the home is estimated to be $80,000.

Contact Us