Death of Infant Ruled as Drug Overdose, Homicide

An infant died due to an overdose of a drug used to treat allergy symptoms, nausea and vomiting after surgery and to prevent motion sickness, according to the Office of the Chief Medical Examiner in Washington.

One-month-old Hakeem Brown was pronounced dead Sept. 1. Emergency crews called to the 2900 block of Akron Place SE found the baby unconscious and not breathing.

The cause of death was determined to be "Promethazine Intoxication and Manner – Homicide." A warrant has been issued for Tisheena Brown, 31, for second-degree murder. Brown is the mother of Hakeem and is still at large.

A warning on the National Institutes of Health drug website warns, “Promethazine may cause breathing to slow or stop, and may cause death in children” and “should not be given to babies or children who are younger than 2 years old.”

Contact Us