Occupiers Take to the Streets on Anniversary of Movement - NBC4 Washington

Occupiers Take to the Streets on Anniversary of Movement

Protesters geared up to close things down on K Street between 11:30 a.m. and 2 p.m.



    Occupy DC protesters returned to the District to mark the one-year anniversary of their movement. (Published Monday, Oct. 1, 2012)

    Occupy D.C. protesters were back on the streets Monday to mark a year since the movement began in the District by demonstrating against big business, banks and governments.

    After a busy morning, the protesters marched to the U.S. Chamber of Commerce, protesting its policies on the front steps, News4's Chris Gordon reported. When they left, they promised to return.

    As they marched along K Street past a Bank of America, the Occupiers protested the foreclosure crisis.

    "Banks got a bailout! We got sold out!" they chanted.

    Occupiers Take to the Streets on Anniversary of Movement

    [DC] Occupiers Take to the Streets on Anniversary of Movement
    There were some tense moments between police and protesters Monday.
    (Published Monday, Oct. 1, 2012)

    Outside Pepco headquarters, they had a difference message, "What's disgusting? Union busting!"

    The Occupy movement represents a variety of causes.

    "I think what we achieved most of all is awareness that something is wrong in America," Carl McClinton said.

    "Going against the criminal activities of these bankers," Occupier Barry Knight said. "One of the criminal activities was predatory lending."

    "I'm part of the 99 percent and part of the 47 percent, so I need to be out her to protect my rights," Shirley Washington said.

    The Occupiers began Monday morning, leaving Farragut Square about 8 a.m., walking through the streets and blocking traffic, News4's Megan McGrath reported. Police also stopped traffic at some intersections so the protesters could safely get through.

    There were some tense moments between them. Video shows an officer shoving protesters from a lobby and onto a sidewalk after the Occupiers entered an office building. No arrests were made in that incident.

    Occupiers later sat down on Pennsylvania Avenue but moved to Freedom Plaza when threatened with arrest.

    While the tent cities have vanished from Freedom Plaza and McPherson Square, the protesters say that their movement is still very much alive.

    "There are so many reasons to be out that are still there [a year later]," one protester told McGrath. "...Every social movement has its moments, and the Occupy movement, last year in the winter and into the spring, that was our moment. And we're all still here and we're not going anywhere."