Malfunctioning Electrical Outlet Caused Maryland Fire That Killed Mother and Son - NBC4 Washington

Tracee Wilkins and the News4 team covering where you live

Malfunctioning Electrical Outlet Caused Maryland Fire That Killed Mother and Son

    processing...

    NEWSLETTERS

    Neighbors Ran Toward Temple Hill House Fire to Try to Help

    When a house fire broke out in Temple Hills on Wednesday, neighbors ran to try to rescue the two people inside. News4's Pat Collins has the emotional story. (Published Wednesday, Nov. 15, 2017)

    The cause of a Temple Hills, Maryland, house fire that killed a mother and son earlier this month has been determined, fire officials said Monday.

    A malfunctioning electrical outlet was the source of the Nov. 15 fire on the 5200 block of Lorraine Drive, Prince George’s County fire investigators said.

    The family had no working smoke detectors in the house.

    Louvenia Goldson, 83, and Eugene Goldson, 62, both died after being pulled from the burning house and taken to a hospital.

    Neighbors Say Woman Died in House Fire

    [DC] Neighbors Say Woman Died in House Fire

    An elderly woman has died after a fire at her Temple Hills home, neighbors say. Her son is in critical condition. News4's Shomari Stone reports.

    (Published Wednesday, Nov. 15, 2017)

    Two firefighters were taken to a burn unit with burns to their ears. They were expected to be OK after treatment, fire officials said.

    At the time of the fire, neighbors said they had rushed to the house to help, but the flames were too intense for them to continue.

    "All I heard was, 'Help, help! Please help me!'" neighbor Brandon Clay said. 

    Any family that is in need of a working smoke detector and cannot afford one is encouraged to call 311, officials said. A firefighter will come to your home and install one for free.