High School Student Sued for Activating Hotel Room Sprinkler - NBC4 Washington

High School Student Sued for Activating Hotel Room Sprinkler

    processing...

    NEWSLETTERS

    High School Student Sued for Activating Hotel Room Sprinkler
    Shutterstock
    File photo

    A hotel's insurance company has sued a high school student it claims caused more than $690,000 in damage by activating a sprinkler inside one of its rooms.

    The Virginian-Pilot reports that Landstown High School senior Cade Anderson stayed at the hotel in Dumfries on Oct. 20, 2017, ahead of a junior ROTC drill competition the next day.

    Anderson's attorney says his client hung his uniform on a sprinkler to properly affix all of the ribbons and medals. When he took the uniform down, the sprinkler activated.

    Prince William County Assistant Fire Chief Matt Smolsky says 10 rooms, the hotel's kitchen and dining area flooded. Anderson's room was on the fourth floor.

    Anderson's father's homeowner's insurance policy is paying for his defense. The company has asked the federal judge if it can be removed from the case.

    Watch NBC4 and get the latest news anytime, anywhere. Check here for TV listings.