Alleged Gas Station Attacker Shot Dead by Police - NBC4 Washington

Alleged Gas Station Attacker Shot Dead by Police

A Takoma Park police officer shot a suspect who allegedly stabbed another man and assaulted a police officer.



    News4's Darcy Spencer reports on a wild carjacking incident that ended with the suspect dead and another man in critical condition (Published Sunday, Dec. 11, 2011)

    One man is dead after investigators say he stabbed a victim several times, led police on a car chase and attacked a female officer in Montgomery County. 

    The wild ordeal began Saturday afternoon at the Sunoco Gas Station on the 6900 block of New Hampshire Avenue in Takoma Park.

    Police say a man pumping his gas left his car to go to the station’s convenience store. When he got out he noticed the suspect inside his vehicle, according to investigators. The man began to scream at the suspect to get out of his car and told other people to call the police.

    Police say the man then confronted the suspect as he got out of the vehicle. The suspect then allegedly demanded the man give him his car keys. 

    A confrontation then occurred in which the suspect stabbed the man multiple times, according to police. The suspect then ran to his own vehicle, a red Ford Focus, and allegedly rammed it into the victim’s car. Police then say he drove away northbound on New Hampshire Avenue.

    Two Takoma Park Officers began to pursue the suspect as he continued down New Hampshire Ave., according to investigators. After losing the suspect for a short time, investigators then say a female officer noticed the Ford Focus overturned at Riggs and Metzerot Road.

    Investigators say the suspect’s car struck three other cars and then turned over. The female officer then spotted the suspect running away from his car and chased after him. Police say she used her taser on the suspect but it had no effect. Police then say the suspect charged at the officer and assaulted her. Another officer approached the two and demanded that the suspect stop, according to police. Investigators then say that the officer fired his weapon multiple times at the suspect, fearing for the female officer’s life.

    The suspect fell to the ground, according to police. He was taken to the MedStar Washington Hospital Center where he was pronounced dead. The stabbing victim was also taken to MedStar to undergo surgery. He is currently in critical condition.

    Police say the names of both the suspect and the victim will not be released at this time.
    Both police officers involved in the incident are on administrative leave as the investigation continues.