Passenger's Threat Shuts Metro Stop - NBC4 Washington

Passenger's Threat Shuts Metro Stop



    Threat Creates Chaotic Commute on Metro

    A 51-year-old Virginia woman is undergoing a mental evaluation after authorities say she made threats on a train a the Rockville Metro Station. (Published Monday, June 13, 2011)

    The Rockville Metro station was evacuated and trains were held Monday morning after a passenger reportedly made a bomb threat.

    Metro spokesman Dan Stessel said that at about 7:30 a.m. passengers heard a female passenger making statements that they interpreted as a threat of an explosive device being left in the station.

    Rick German was on the train when the incident occurred.

    "Before she got off the train, her comments were, 'It's a shame everyone's going to die. This is going to be a tomb. All Christians and American Muslims, they died before; they're going to die again'," German said. "'It hasn't ended' type of thing. And she smiled and got off the train."

    Witness Describes Threatening Metro Comments

    [DC] Witness Describes Threatening Metro Comments
    Rick German describes what he heard from a fellow Metro passenger at the Rockville station. The comments led to a shutdown and investigation.
    (Published Monday, June 13, 2011)

    German said the car doors closed, but passengers yelled for someone on the platform to stop the woman. Electricity was cut to the third rail so the train wouldn't move.

    He said passengers started looking for bombs.

    "We got up and started searching all the bags, telling people to look at all the bags for bombs," he said. "We called (the train operator) and told them to stop."

    Stessel said officials conducted a search and did not find any explosive devices. K-9 units and detectives were called to the scene.

    Police said a woman was in custody and was questioned.

    The suspect has been transported to an area hospital for a psychiatric evaluation.

    Police Deputy Chief Ronald Pavlik told the AP that the woman is 51 years old, and from McLean.  Authorities said they were not releasing  woman's name because she is currently not facing any charges.

    Train service was stopped between Shady Grove and Grosvenor until about 9:45 a.m. There were delays in both directions. Bus service was provided for passengers.

    Stessel said the incident led to delays on the entire Red Line.