Virginia Tech Students, Others, Catch Norovirus

40 people sent to hospital since Thursday

A norovirus outbreak has hospitalized about 40 people, including Virginia Tech students, since Thursday, the Culpeper Star-Exponent reported.

The Virginia Department of Health said no one was hospitalized overnight, and the sick complained of nausea, vomiting and diarrhea, the paper reported.

Virginia Tech officials told the paper that an increase in illnesses usually happens this time of year.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said people can become infected with the virus in several ways, including:

  • eating food or drinking liquids that are contaminated with norovirus;
  • touching surfaces or objects contaminated with norovirus, and then placing their hand in their mouth;
  • having direct contact with another person who is infected and showing symptoms (for example, when caring for someone with illness, or sharing foods or eating utensils with someone who is ill).
Contact Us