Triplet Toddlers Rescued From Bethesda House Fire

Boys in critical condition; firefighters injured

BETHESDA, Md. -- Triplet toddlers were hospitalized after being rescued from a house fire.
Montgomery County Fire and Rescue arrived at the fire in the 4800 block of Jamestown Road in Bethesda about 1:30 p.m. Wednesday, spokesman Pete Piringer said.
The father of the 2-year-old boys told firefighters that he had tried to get them out but couldn't. Two firefighters suffered minor injuries while rescuing the toddlers from an upstairs bedroom.
Montgomery County Fire and Rescue Capt. Kimonti Oglesby went upstairs to break windows and search for the children, he said, but he had to retreat to battle the fire downstairs, at which time two members of the rescue squad went upstairs and took two of the brothers out. Oglesby removed the third child.
The children were unconscious when they were removed from the home. They are expected to survive and be OK, hospital officials said. Two have been upgraded from serious to good condition, while the third remains on the critical list.
The father,  Michael Petrucelli, was taken to a hospital for possible burns and smoke inhalation, Piringer said.
The children's nanny saw the flames while taking a break outside. She ran back into the house to warn Petricelli, who was working from home. The boys' mother was in Philadelphia.
The fire apparently was caused by an electrical problem near a jacuzzi in the back of the house. Petrucelli apparently tried to extinguish the fire himself with a garden hose.
The home did not have any working smoke detectors.
The Petrucelli Relief Fund has been established to help the family.
Copyright AP - Associated Press
Contact Us