Read this and you'll look smart. You don't have to be intelligent to impress people -- you just have to fake it. Here's a daily list of fascinating articles that will wow your friends, surprise your co-workers and make you seem sharp at a cocktail party or over the lunch counter....
- Meet "Life Cube." For $3,900 you can buy this inflatable 12-foot-tall structure built from plastic that folds into a four-foot-tall cube, is completely self-sustained, provides basic amenities and is intended to provide shelter for people days and weeks after a disaster.
- Global warming may have helped thaw the infamously impassable Northwest Passage but it is also blamed for making a journey on the waterway between the Atlantic and Pacific oceans perilous in a different way.
- Researchers have discovered what appears to be a snowy avalanche near Mars' north pole. Images of the Earth-like event show large clouds of dust and snow near the base of a 500-meter cliff.
- Nearly 3 million people are in the Obama campaign database -- and that list won't disappear overnight. Instead, that group will likely continue to be a vital part of his outreach and marketing efforts.
- The rise and fall of Chinese dynasties can be linked to changes in climate. Scientists have examined the atmospheric record contained in a stalagmite and determined that during periods of strong and weak rains coincided with periods of turmoil and prosperity, respectively.