Shoppers in Virginia won't have to pay sales taxes this weekend on certain items, and Maryland shoppers will get a chance to shop tax free later this month.
Virginia's is set for the weekend of Aug. 3-5, when you won't be charged sales tax on qualifying school supplies, clothing, shoes, emergency prep items and Energy Star and WaterSense™ products.
Here's what you can save on:
School supplies, clothing, and footwear:
- Qualifying school supplies ($20 or less per item)
- Qualifying clothing and footwear ($100 or less per item)
Hurricane and emergency preparedness products:
- Portable generators ($1,000 or less per item)
- Gas-powered chainsaws ($350 or less per item)
- Chainsaw accessories ($60 or less per item)
- Other specified hurricane preparedness items ($60 or less per item)
Energy Star and WaterSense products:
- Qualifying Energy Star or WaterSense products for noncommercial home or personal use ($2,500 or less per item)
You can find more detailed lists of qualifying items online here.
Maryland's tax-free holiday will follow, running for a week from Aug. 12 to Aug. 18. You won't have to pay sales tax on clothing and footwear that cost $100 or less per item. In addition, the first $40 of a backpack or bookbag will also be tax-free.