A local service is offering a safe ride home to anyone who may overindulge this Cinco de Mayo.
SoberRide will be available to residents in D.C. metro area from 4 p.m. Tuesday to 4 a.m. Wednesday.
According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, 41 percent of all traffic deaths involve drunk drivers.
SoberRide hopes to deter that statistic by offering free rides to residents who are 21 and older. All you have to do is call 800-200-8294 (TAXI). The service covers the first $30 of the fare; riders are responsible for anything more than $30.
A SoberRide call operator will direct your ride request to one of the program's participating cab companies, which include:
- Alexandria Yellow Cab (Alexandria)
- Barwood, Inc. (Montgomery County)
- Fairfax Yellow Cab (Fairfax County)
- Loudoun Yellow Cab (Eastern Loudoun County)
- Northern Virginia Checker (Prince William County)
- Red Top Cab Company (Arlington County)
- Silver Cab of Prince George's County (Prince George's County)
- Yellow Cab of District of Columbia (District of Columbia)
- Yellow Cab of Prince William County (Prince William County)
This is the first time SoberRide has provided free cab rides for Cinco de Mayo.