Has it been far too long since you last gorged on fried Oreos while watching monster truck shows? Yeah, we thought so. Fortunately, fair season is coming up!
Here's a roundup of some of the local fairs in our area:
- Montgomery County Agricultural Fair: Aug. 9-17 at the Montgomery County Fairgrounds (16 Chestnut St., Gaithersburg, Md.)
You won't want to miss out on that aforementioned monster truck show, plus demolition derby, a So You Think You Can Dance show, and plenty of rides, food and crafts. Admission for adults and children 12+ is $10; kids 11 and under are free. Buy tickets online here.
- Prince George's County Fair: Sept. 5-8 at the Prince George's Equestrian Center and Show Place Arena (14900 Pennsylvania Ave., Upper Marlboro, Md.)
In addition to all that county fair goodness, a beautiful baby contest, southern mix chorus, dance performances and a balloon man are the main draws here. Tickets for those 12+ are $6; kids 6-11 are $5, and kids younger than 5 can enter free.
- Anne Arundel County Fair: Sept. 11-15 at the Anne Arundel County Fairgrounds (1450 General's Highway, Crownsville, Md.)
Head out to see an "Arundel Idol" competition and enjoy food, crafts and carnival rides. General admission is $6 for those 16 and over; $4 for kids 8-15 and free for kids younger than 7.
- Charles County Fair: Sept. 12-15 at the Charles County Fairgrounds (8440 Fairgrounds Road, La Plata, Md.)
Enjoy games, pony rides, lawn mower races, craft displays, and four stages filled with music and other performances. Admission is $5 for ages 11+ and free for kids 10 and younger. Season passes are available for $12.
- Loudoun County Fair: July 29-Aug. 3 at the Loudoun County Fairgrounds (17558 Dry Mill Road, Leesburg, Va.)
Go for carnival rides, animal exhibits, craft displays and two very important words: demolition derby. General admission $10; $5 for ages 6-12; free for military personell and children under 6. Youth 15 years and younger are free July 31 until 4p.m.; Seniors 62 and older are free August 1 until 4 p.m.
- Arlington County Fair: Aug. 7-11 at the Thomas Jefferson Community Center (3501 2nd St. S., Arlington, Va.)
Not only is this fair free, it's Metro-accessible. Check out the scavenger hunt, racing piglets, pony rides, face painting and of course, the carnival rides. A shuttle bus is available for $2 from the Ballston Metro station and other locations; parking at the fair is prohibited.
- Prince William County Fair: Aug. 9-17 at the Prince William County Fairgrounds (10624 Dumfries Road, Manassas, Va.)
Virginia's largest fair features craft exhibits, animal and midway shows, a kids' fun zone (featuring a chain saw artist!), pony rides, show barn performances and plenty more. Adults ages 14-59 are $10; kids 5-13 and seniors older than 60 get in for $5. Unlimited ride wristbands are $16 Monday, Wednesday and Thursday and $20 Saturday. Everyone admitted $5 Friday Aug 1; active duty military admitted free. Veterans free Sun., Aug. 11 for Veteran Appreciation Day. Buy tickets online here.
- DC "State" Fair (Sept. 28): at the Barracks Row Fall Festival (8th Street SE)
Celebrate some of D.C.'s "home-grown" talent. Check out photography, plants and art by locals. The event will be held this year in conjunction with the Barracks Row Fall Festival.