An Australian man landed in a hospital with severe burns on Sunday after trying to set off fire crackers between his buttocks, Australian Associated Press reported.
The Northern Territory man, 23, was attending a party in the Darwin suburb of Rapid Creek, when the feat went awfully wrong, the Northern Territory police said.
"It appears a party was in full progress when a young male decided to place a firework between the cheeks of his bottom and light it," said Senior Sergeant Garry Smith.
According to police, alcohol might have played a role in the stunt.
"What must of seemed to be a great idea at the time has backfired, resulting in the male receiving quite severe and very painful burns to his cheeks, back and private bits,” Smith said.
By the time paramedics arrived on the scene, the man was gone. He reportedly had taken himself to the hospital, AAP reported.
On Monday police said they believed the man would be transported to a specialist burns unit at the Royal Adelaide Hospital, but a Royal Darwin Hospital spokeswoman was unable to confirm that.
The man might be in legal trouble once his medical ordeal is over. Fireworks in NT can only legally be set off on July 1, known as Territory Day, when the region celebrates its anniversary of being granted self-governance, according to APP.
After that day all fireworks must be disposed of, but fireworks are often set off long after that as people use leftover supplies.
Anyone in possession of fireworks beyond an approved period risks being slapped with a $282 fine, police said.