An Alexandria woman has been hospitalized after a flash fire left her with second and third degree burns over 80 percent of her body.
Police were called to the 300 block of North Fayette Street shortly after 9:00 p.m. Saturday. They found the 53-year-old woman and transported her to MedStar Burn Center in Washington.
Investigators say that the woman was attempting to light a fire in an outdoor metal fireplace on a patio when an accumulation of vapors near the fuel source ignited, causing a flash fire.
The woman's name and current condition are not known at this time.
Stay with NBCWashington.com for more on this developing story.